Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bad Drive?

So my very first laptop has finally died - or, at least, the hard drive within it died (my Dell Inspiron 8600 I bought 6 or 7 years ago). I only had it running a web cam, a license server, and a network attached drive which was backup to some other things so no huge loss (had all the data copied off elsewhere too). Still...annoying as I now have to recreate the services elsewhere.

Anyways...I thought I'd share this picture as even my diagnostic tools are indicating a "bad drive".

Click picture for larger image.



To help interpret this screen, in 27 hours, 21 minutes, and 42 seconds, it's only scanned two sectors of the drive and the second is not only bad but unrecoverable. It's working on the third segment - so less than 0.3% complete. To bring perspective here, this tool should only take about 30 minutes to scan a 350GB drive (the size of drive here). It's estimating another 11,142 hours, 37 minutes, and 4 seconds. In case you can't do math that quickly, that's 464 days (or 1 year and 99 days), 6 hours, 37 minutes, and 4 seconds. So...yeah...bad drive. :-)

Oh well....that's why we have a technology called "Backup".

I.T. Rule #1 - Backup, Backup, Backup!
I.T. Rule #2 - When all else fails, revert back to rule #1.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep this respectable and clean.

Posts are reviewed and moderated before being approved for display on this page.

NO SPAM PLEASE!